When I moved to Texas, I learned that salad does not need lettuce. There are many ways to enjoy a salad, and this Corn Salad with Fritos is one of my favorites! This recipe is a family-favorite, handed down to me from my mother-in-law, who regularly served this at family gatherings or anytime she attended a covered dish (a “covered dish,” for you non-Texans/southerners, is what we call a potluck around here).
Corn Salad with Fritos
This recipe is super easy to throw together. It also makes a ton, so it’s great to bring to a party. This is the perfect corn salad for a crowd, but you can also halve this recipe if you’re making it for your family or a small group. It goes great as a BBQ side dish.
Corn Salad Ingredients
This Corn Salad with Fritos recipe uses the following ingredients:
Miracle Whip (which is like a tangy mayo, if you’ve never used it before)
Sharp cheddar cheese
Green bell pepper
Chili Cheese Fritos
While I make this with canned corn, you could also use frozen corn that has been thawed.
Is Corn Salad healthy?
Whether or not this recipe is healthy would depend on your definition of healthy! This recipe has Miracle Whip, lots of cheese, and Fritos…not food we’d typically consider healthy. However, it makes 15 servings, so you are getting small amounts of those ingredients in each serving. A serving size is about 1/2 cup, so if you stick to that you’re looking at 192 calories and 10 carbs. If you’re on Weight Watchers, this corn salad is 5 points per serving. So if you’re counting calories and keep portions under control, it’s definitely reasonable.
If you’re looking for a super clean and healthy corn salad without mayo, this healthy Grilled Corn and Veggie Salad might be what you’re looking for!
Can Corn Salad be made ahead of time?
Yes. You’ll actually want to make this at least a few hours before you plan on eating it so the salad can chill in the fridge and the ingredients will meld together for the most flavor. You’ll add the Chili Cheese Fritos right before you eat it, so they stay crunchy. You can prep the rest of the salad ahead of time, though.
How long will Corn Salad last in the fridge?
I keep it around for 3-4 days. It usually doesn’t last that long, because we go through it pretty quickly! With this corn salad recipe, you’ll want to keep the extra Fritos around so you can add some fresh ones when you go for leftovers. This isn’t completely necessary, but crunchy Fritos are the best Fritos.
Can you freeze corn salad?
I would not freeze this recipe. The bell peppers, onions, pimientos, and Fritos will not stay crunchy as it thaws out. Also, cheese can sometimes act strangely when thawing. So while I have never actually tried freezing this recipe, I don’t think it would freeze really well (but if you’ve tried and that’s not the case, let me know!).
How to Make Corn Salad at Home
This recipe is so easy to make at home. Print out the instructions below so you will always have them!
- 3 cans whole kernel corn, (15 oz each, drained)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4oz pimientos, (1 4oz jar, drained)
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 3-4 chopped green onions
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces of Chili Cheese Fritos
- Drain the canned corn and pimientos. I let them drain in a collander while prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Once everything is prepped, combine all ingredients, except the Fritos, in a large bowl. Stir until completely mixed.
- Cover and chill for 3-4 hours in the fridge. When ready to serve, crush Fritos. I crush them up in the bag. You could also transfer to a plastic baggie and use a rolling pin to crush if you don't want to crush the whole bag.
- When ready to serve, dump Fritos into salad and stir until mixed completely. Add remaining Fritos whenever salad needs a crunchy freshening up.